Saturday, January 21, 2012

2011 Top Ten Films


Alright, so it's been a while since I've blogged and I apologize for the neglect.  Truth be told, I've been a little lax and lazy since 2012 rolled around.  No more!  The time for blogging and doing things pertaining to social networks and tweets is now.  The advent of my personal opinions, mapped out in written words is upon us.  So, I have to get the 2011 shit out of the way.  Like I always do, I made a list of my TOP TEN BEST FILMS OF 2011.

Before you read them, understand that there are films I did not see and therefore cannot put on the list.  The following list is a list of these films that I will have to see eventually, but will not make my Top Ten for that reason. They are:

Martha Marcy May Marlene, Shame, Tinker Tailor Solider Spy, Hugo, The Artist, The Decendants,  The Muppets, Tin Tin, War Horse, Beginners, Carnage, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Contagion and whatever else I'm completely forgetting about.

That said, here is my TOP TEN BEST FILMS OF 2011:

10. X-Men First Class

I want to put this at number one, but I'll keep it real.  First off, I'm a giant X-Men fan and have been one since at least second grade.  I knew with such a well casted film and Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Kick-Ass) at the helm, this would be a huge success.  To my own surprise, however, it was more amazing than I thought.  It is arguably better than Brian Singer's versions of the X-Men.  The thing about it is that it was well thought out, well executed and well acted.  When you consider that they were rushing to complete the film earlier in 2011, there is a level of respect that must be given for the product that came out.  Imagine what Vaughn would have done with more time?

9. Tree Of Life

I had to put this on here because it was incredibly emotional and beautifully shot.  Very artistic, very close to the chest and it tells a serious story.  It doesn't tell the story of a family who lost a son in the traditional way.  Instead, it plays out like a sprawling map of memories, chopped up and chosen with impeccable visual balance.  I had heard when this first came out on the Indie circuit that it was long and somewhat boring, but that it was possibly the most beautiful film ever shot.  When I got the chance to see it, I could see arguments for both sides.  I had to go with the flow on this one and the fact is, this film is an ever moving canvas of emotional nostalgia.  Definitely worth watching if you have any sense in your head.

8.The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

This might be a little high on my list, but it is David Fincher and an amazing Rooney Mara.  Everyone else just works into the film, but Mara takes her acting to a new level.  I personally knew she was capable of this having seen her in basically everything she's ever done, but I think she proved herself this year to a lot of people.  Whether you think the original is better or Fincher's is the more solid version, you have to consider that it is a trilogy and the original trilogy didn't have the staying power after Dragon Tattoo.  Fincher is more than qualified to bring this series to an all time high and with the bar set low for these next two, it should be interesting to see how he expands on the series.  Either way, Mara is the true talent here and everyone else is just background noise.

7. The Help

This is a guilty pleasure film for me.  I am not like most filmgoers, because I don't tend to segregate myself to a certain genre.  Some of my favorite films are Romances or "Chick Flicks" or Animated film.    The Help had a lot of buzz behind it after it was released.  When it came out on DVD, I got a chance to see for myself.  Again, totally surprised, The Help had the perfect blend between comedy and seriousness.  It poked fun at it's characters, but also dived into the social issues surrounding them.  It wasn't preachy or overly aggressive, it just told a story and had an amazing cast.  Of them, Jessica Chastain, who I was reluctant to accept until actually seeing her act.  Since then, I've seen all her films this year and would say she's the real deal.  The Help will catch you off guard if you let it and it's refreshing to see a movie about discrimination that doesn't feed on excessive acts of racism or inhumanity, but instead relies on the characters to handle the material.

6. 50/50

This was such a special film for me.  It really helped me understand the gravity of life, but how to embrace the simply, silly side of it.  Forget all the bouts with drawn out dramatic scenes and overly emotional breakdowns, 50/50 keeps it real.  It tells the story of a young man dealing with cancer in a real way.  This was also a great turn from Seth Rogen, who I love as a writer, but feel he has a hard time acting outside himself.  While he was a bit similar to every character he's ever done, I think he had the room here to show a more sensitive, but irrational character.  Plus, Anna Kendrick once again proves she is way better than Twilight and Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues his strong career.  Seriously, Miss Kendrick, you are far better than Twilight.  The thing about the film that makes it so special is it's ability to play from comedy to serious drama in seconds and then back to comedy without losing any emotional charge.

5. Attack The Block

I had heard great things about this British film about rough street teens who defend their block against glowing, grizzly teeth aliens primarily because it had Nick Frost in it.  Also, Edgar Wright told everyone to watch it and I listen to smart people.  When I saw it, I was not disapointed for a second.  It was funny, exciting and it felt like the kind of film that could be real if aliens did exist.  It doesn't have a lot of flaws.  It's fast and creative and you can get a feel for what it is like to be from the block in England.  My roommate and I joked that they even had a Rufio like character in their crew and it's that kind of relativity that this movie brings that gets it on my list.  That and the fact that it's one hell of an entertaining flick.

4. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

The final Harry Potter had arrived this past year and brought with it great expectations.  Say what you will about the boy wizard, the Harry Potter series of films is one of the funnest and most consistantly good franchises in film history.  I own each one on blu-ray and this last one was the best of them all.  It was beautiful to behold, the story kept true to the fans and it played out like a true epic conclusion should.  The hardest part of a franchise is ending it and here is an example of not just ending it, but ending it on a high note; in style.  Yates is a great director, can't wait for him to do something else, but until then, we have Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2.  It is easily the best of the series.

3. Moneyball

Brad Pitt is a bad ass, but here he plays a cool dude with a nack for keeping it real.  I know that is my own interpretation, but I loved this film for what it was; a great baseball flick.  Arguably a contender for awards season, Moneyball was written by my favorite screenwriter, Aaron Sorkin.  It is funny, it is fresh and it is lead by Pitt who is amazing and Jonah Hill who most people remember as that kid with a dick drawing addiction in Superbad.  Hill really showed he not only could act, but that he was far more capable at acting than anyone in the comedy game.  Although Steve Carrell is good and Paul Rudd showed in Our Idiot Brother that he was relevant as well.  Moneyball is strong in every aspect, however and one viewing really doesn't do the film justice.  It's hard to say this isn't the best writing of the year, but I think perhaps my number one would trump this one.

2. Drive

This is just an oddball of a film.  Dark and harnassed at times, quiet at others and all mixed together with the sounds of pop/electronic playing in the background.  Drive was awesome and I'm upset more people didn't see it.  I'm also upset that some stupid woman tried to sue the film over the trailer misreprenting what the film was.  Lady, you're stupid, please move to Canada.  Seriously, though, this was a strong film because it worked with sound in an amazing way.  That and Ryan Gosling once again dominated in everything he ever tries to do.  Let's not forget Albert Brooks really shined as a smart but sinister go-hard.  The times of the film when Gosling has to do nothing but stare or drive, is like some sort of drifting, lingering eye candy we're all allowed to enjoy.  When the film and Gosling go dark, we go dark with him.  It's not a movie for dumb people because it respects what a film should be.  Forget high cost explosions and gaudy vacation locations that have nothing to do with the plot, Drive turns all that in for a clever and original story about a loner stunt man with a scorpion jacket and you can't help but feel bonded to him just because.  Kick ass.

1. Midnight In Paris

Not as many people are fans of Woody Allen as they used to be.  For a while, he couldn't find the vision he had decades back.  We got glimpses with Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but Midnight In Paris is by my opinion to be his best work ever.  It's hard to say, really, because he has a lot of strong conversational, human condition focused films under his belt, but financially, Midnight In Paris is his most successful.  Not financially, it's my favorite.  I didn't quite know what it was other than a Woody Allen flick with half the cast of Wedding Crashers, but when I got into it, I couldn't help put drool over the entire artistic integrity of it.  Like the number two pick, this is a film for smart people.   People who enjoyed Transformers 3 (who should be quarantined) will not enjoy this simply because they have no taste.  This is not for mindless moviegoers who want to watch tired, overly comical action  movies with thin, unbelievable plots and $100 million in explosions, this is for people who love literature and art and history.  This is for the people who want to see originality and effort, not cheap thrills and quick cuts to pointless, brainless characters.  You guys, I really hated Transformers 3, if you couldn't tell.  Paris, however, drilled into my love of good writing with amazing acting and unbelievable casting.  Owen Wilson took a step back in the right direction and I applaud him for it.  The film played like an oil painting for your brain and if you allow yourself the opportunity, it will reward you with quick and witty dialogue, cleaver oddity and an ability to stretch your imagination.  All that and not one explosion.  Movie of the year, maybe even movie of the century.  Either way, my pick for best film of 2011.

Honorable Mention:
Warrior, Mission Impossible 4, 13 Assassins, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Thor, Captain America, Rango, I Saw The Devil, Source Code, Bridesmaids, Super 8, Win Win, Fast Five, Hanna, The Trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Review: Only The Brave (2017)

Director:   Joseph Kosinski Writers:   Sean Flynn  (based on the GQ article "No Exit" by),  Ken Nolan   |   1 more credit  ...